Saturday, July 10, 2010

Week 3

Sorry for the late posts! This week in Costa Rica has been a very quiet one, but it has taught me a lot. First off, my spanish is getting so much better. Conversations are starting to get easier to understand, and I am able to communicate my ideas much more effectively. The grammar is flowing, and I am starting to feel a part of this culture. Engineering classes are going well too as we have transitioned from the electrical labs to the actual aspect of working in these developing hospitals and how to approach training technicians without going overboard. Recently, we toured San Jose's Children's Hospital in downtown San Jose. The hospital was very modern with state of the art equipment and almost a model for hospitals all across the country. There were CAT Scan machines, other sources of X-Rays, and plenty of incubators and ventilators alike. The main engineer at the hospital even had appropriate working space and conditions to fix the equipment. Tons and tons of money have been poured out on this hospital and I think it is a model hospital in and of itself. This coming next month in Nicaragua will be a true test in trying to help the hospitals get to the next level as best as I can. In terms of exciting other things, we recently had a get together at our Spanish teacher's house. Just imagine all 20+ of us in one house. The house was very nice and almost seemed like home. It was so interesting to see the stark contrast of the well off and the not so well off in Costa Rica. We were lucky to get hosted, and I had a great time. This weekend some friends went to do their own things and I decided to catch up on sleep and other things that I needed to get done. Thanks for reading and this will be my last week in Costa Rica. My next post will be right before I head out to Nicaragua! Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. VERY NICE MANU YOU DID A GOOD JOB... I HOOP EWH KEEP COMING TO NIC.

    ReplyDelete